All BCPPC credential holders are required to obtain 20 contact hours of Continuing Education every two years and these hours must incorporate biblical principles and counseling skills with theory, knowledge, and practice.
Continuing Education is an all-encompassing term that applies to obtaining contact hours across a broad spectrum of post-secondary (beyond high school) learning activities and programs. Some examples include degree credit courses, non-degree career training, self-directed learning, experiential learning, seminars, workshops, conference presentations, and classroom lectures. The method and format of delivery may be face-to-face, distance/online learning, printed texts/workbooks, the use of videotaped/CD/DVD material, etc.
BCPPC approved Continuing Education and competency activities can occur in the following categories:
Category #1: Continuing Education activities that the credential holder ENGAGES in as a RECIPIENT
PLEASE NOTE: A minimum of twelve (12) of the contact hours of the required total number of hours must be from Category #1.
- Formally organized learning (college/university courses, workshops, seminars, professional or ministerial conferences, presentations, home study, etc.). The delivery of content may be either face-to-face or electronic (e.g., CD, DVD, computer, Web-based, etc.).
- Training experiences at churches or other Christian organizations that resulted in a certificate of completion or other verifiable documentation of participation.
- Publications (e.g., journals, magazines, etc.) that have a CE component and a process providing verification of completion.
- Clinical supervision and/or consultation that is received and documented—no more than three (3) contact hours toward the total number of required hours).
Category #2: Continuing Education activities that the credential holder PROVIDES as a FACILITATOR
- Facilitating, training, or presenting at an organized conference/seminar/class that incorporates biblical principles and counseling skills with clinical theory, knowledge, and practice. The same presentation may only be used once in a two-year renewal period.
- Teaching a college-level (post-secondary) class that incorporates biblical principles and counseling skills with theory, knowledge, and practice. The same course may only be used once in a two-year renewal period.
- Producing new training materials and/or curriculum that incorporate biblical principles and counseling skills with theory, knowledge, and practice.
- Publishing (a book, book chapter, journal/magazine article, etc.).
Acceptable forms of documentation for Continuing Education activities:
- Certificates of Completion
- CE letters or other forms documenting participation
- Official transcripts and/or diplomas
- Reprints of published articles, book chapters, training materials, etc.
- Proof of presentations that were given and/or courses that were taught
- Formal letters from supervisors and/or consultants